Witchy-Poo, Needle felting doll tutorial
This tutorial shows how to make a needle felted witch using a cone as the base shape. Use these dolls as a Halloween center piece or offer Witchy-Poo and friends to your children for creative, spooky fun.
Materials: felting needles, sponge for felting surface
wool: black (body, hat, arms) I prefer felting a course wool like shetland or New Zealand, here I used black merino because that’s what I had; Merino is a wool I like to use for hair. The witch’s hair in this tutorial is felted from a very course New Zealand wool for that wild and crazy look, but the hair of the witch in the back is grey merino.
peach (face, hands)
purple (decorative band on hat)
core wool or fiber-fill (base shape)
thread (for wrapping core wool or fiber fill to make base shape)
black felt (hat brim)
Note: After felting small piece (eyes, nose, chin) roll them between your fingers or hands to smooth them, then felt them onto the doll.
1. Wrap several handfuls of core wool or poly fiber-fill (depending on the witch size you want ) with thread to form the base shape (cone) of the doll.
2. Base shape: wrap the cone with black wool, felt till firm. Use a large felting tool (4 to 8 needles.)
3. Nose, chin, face: roll a small peace of wool into an oval (felt till firm) for the nose and chin. Felt a small flat circle for the face.
4. Felt the face (circle) onto the cone.
5. Felt the nose and chin onto the face using 1 medium needle. Roll the tip of the nose between your fingers to make the end pointier.
6. Side view of face.
7. Hair: Felt grey wool around the head area. Felt tiny balls (eyes) onto the face and a red smile (optional).
8. Hat Brim: cut a circle out of black felt (3″/8cm”). Cut an X in the middle of the circle and slide it onto the pointy end of the cone (hat) till the face. Felt the brim onto the cone around the base, wrap a decorative piece of purple wool around the base of the hat.
9. Witch face (nose, chin, eyes, mouth), hair, hat brim.
10. Arms/hands: tear off a piece of black wool (2.75″/7cm long). Fold it in half vertically, felt till firm. Keep folding and felting till the wool looks like an arm. Wrap a small piece of peach wool on one end, felt till firm. Do this for both arms. Felt each arm onto the cone where the witch’s shoulders should be.