This tutorial shows how to make these simple gnomes for imaginative play or to use as holiday ornaments. With a little variation, you can make Santa Clauses as well!
Materials: felting needles, sponge for felting surface
wool: peach (face)
black (eyes) optional for Waldorf style
core wool or fiber-fill (base shape)
sewing thread (for wrapping core wool or fiber fill to make base shape)
red embroidery thread (for hanging)
Note: After felting small piece (eyes, nose, tip of hat) roll them between your fingers or hands to smooth them, then felt them onto the doll.
1. Wrap a handful of wool (using one of the base colors: brown, blue, white or red) or poly fiber-fill with thread to form the base shape (cone) of the doll.
2. Base shape: wrap the base with brown wool (over the thread bound base), felt till firm.
3. Add strips of wool in the other three base colors: blue, white and red. Felt till firm.
4. Wrap more red wool onto the red end of the base shape. Felt till firm and pointy.
Four colored, felted base.
5. Felt on a small circle of peach wool for the face. Place the circle between the white and red layers of color.
Placement for the face.
6. Felt a small piece of white wool on the botton of the face for the beard.
7. Roll the shape between your palms to smooth it.
8. Roll a small piece of peach wool for the nose, felt till firm.
9. Place the rolled wool onto the face, use a medium felting needle to felt down. (Optional for true Waldorf style)
10. Felt on tiny peach circles for ears and tiny black dots for eyes. (Optional for true Waldorf style).
11. Felt curly white wool onto the strip of white around the head and bead. Make sure to felt white wool (curly or not) between the face and the ears.
Ready, Set, PLAY!
12. For hanging ornaments, sew red embroidery thread through the ends of the hats, tie making a circle.