Emili is modeling a needle felted heart necklace, trimmed in cotton lace. This needle felted heart is fast and easy to make, it makes a great activity to do with your children. You can sew beads and sequins to the heart or embroider designs on the front; I’ve opted to keep this one simple, red and white.
Together, my girls and I made needle felted heart necklaces as gifts for their grandmother, friends and teachers. The simplicity of this project made it a fun activity and the girls were happy to have made a unique and personal gift for their classmates.
Materials for needle felted heart necklace
poly fiberfill or core wool
red organza ribbon
felting needle handles
1. With sewing thread, bind the poly fiberfill or core wool into the shape of a heart.
2. Cover the heart shape with red wool, needle felt till smooth and firm.
3. Cut a 1/2″ slit around the entire heart.
4. With a needle and thread, gather lace. Make sure the gathered lace is long enough to go around the entire heart.
5. With one large felting needle, push the lace into the slit around the heart.
6. To secure the lace into the heart, sew small stitches around the heart. Make sure to sew through the front layer of the needle felted heart, the lace and the back layer of the heart so the lace stays in place.
7. Depending on the age (size) of your child, cut a piece of organza ribbon, sew to the needle felted heart. (I used 40″ of ribbon for Emili’s necklace).