Needle felted carrot bag with bunnies inside
The carrot bag is for carrying childhood treasures, be it smooth stones or secret notes or acorns or candies! I’ve included a tutorial for how to make the carrot bag and the four little bunnies that are inside of it; delight and surprise your children with this whimsical bag/toy:) The basics of this tutorial can be applied to any fruit, vegatable or other item of your choosing.
The carrot bag is for girls and boys
Needle felted bunnies live inside the bag
Carrot Bag and Bunnies Tutorial
orange wool (around 12g.)
green wool (around 10g.)
green curly wool (about 4g. or a handful)
white wool for bunnies (4g.)
poly fiber-fill stuffing or core wool (about 60g.)
sewing thread (for wrapping the base shape)
felting needles-medium gauge (36pt. 38pt.)
sponge-needle felting surface
1. The Bag: With sewing thread, firmly wrap the poly fiber-fill or core wool into the shape of a carrot. (12" long x 10" in diameter)
2. The Bag: Needle felt orange wool over the entire base-shape.
3.a. Stem/Handle: Take a strip of green wool (24" long x 1.5" wide) and needle felt it till it's firm. The stem will be needle felted till it is rope-like.
3.b. Stem/Handle: Fold the strip of wool in half (length-wise) and needle felt till firm.
3.c. Stem/Handle: The rope-like stem is ready for adding curly green locks.
4.a. Cut out the top of the carrot bag with scissors.
4.b. Think "making a jack-o-lantern": hollow our the carrot by cutting away at the interior poly fiber-fill or core wool and pull out the stuffing. Use plyers to pull out the interior if needed. Leave an exterior wall of about .75" so the walls of the carrot stay firm.
4.c. Felt the inside of the hollowed-out carrot orange. The internal space in this carrot is 2" x 3".
5. Poke a hole through the center of the carrot top.
6. Thread both ends of the handle into the hole in the carrot top. Needle felt the ends of the stems down.
7. The top of the carrot and stem should fit over the opening of the bag.
8. Needle felt a flap (1" x 2") to connect the carrot top/stem to the bag.
8.b. Needle felt one end of the flap to the inside of the bag and the other end of the flap to the underside of the top/stem.
8.c. The stem is now ready to be decorated. If you don't have curly green wool, you can substitute strips of green felt sewn onto the handle and snipped to look like carrot leaves.
9. Needle felt curly green wool along the stem. Optional: Using a sewing needle and green thread, sew through and around the stem to help secure the curly wool.
10. Cut a 20" long piece of ribbon in half. Sew one piece to the top of the bag and the other piece to the lip of the opening of the bag.
Time to make the Bunnies:
1. Take a tuft of white wool and firmly roll it into a small ball (about 2.5" in diameter).
2. Needle felt the ball till firm and smooth.
3. Felt another ball of wool for the head, slightly smaller than the first ball of wool. Attach the two balls by felting around the base of the two balls.
4.a. Needle felt a thin strip of wool till firm, fold it over once and felt both sides together. Attach the ear by felting the raw or unfelted end of the ear piece onto the head. Do this step twice.
4.b. Finished needle felted bunny.